• 3 Tbs, any EVOO
• ¼ cup diced tasso or smoked ham
• 1½ pounds mussels
• 1 can lager, preferably Pabst Blue Ribbon
• ¼ cup unsalted butter
• ¼ cup diced tomatoes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Toasted and sliced baguette, to serve
• 1 bulb of green garlic, whites and greens separated, thinly sliced
• 1 spring onion, whites and greens separated thinly sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham, along with the white parts of the spring onions and the white parts of the green garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the ham is crisp and the onions and garlic have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half of the beer and cook, covered, until the mussels begin to open, about 2 minutes. Uncover and add the butter, tomato and remaining onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until the butter has melted and the mussels have opened completely, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mussels between two bowls and serve with the baguette.
**An original Carter & Cavero recipe adaptation from Chef Steve McHugh, Cured, San Antonio, TX